QAW - Qualitätsausbildung im Wassersport
QAW - Common quality standards for watersports training and watersports centres developed by three German sailing associations and used across Europe. These standards ensure that you can find a suitable training center with confidence that the quality of training is maintained and assessed regularly.
The “Quality Training Watersport (QTW)” working committee is formed by the following watersports associations:
- DMYV German Cruiser Association (registered)
- VDS German Pleasure Craft Association (registered)
- VDWS Association of German Watersport Schools (registered)
This committee aims at ensuring common quality standards that help you find a suitable training center.
Mandatory minimum standards have been defined for the QTW, which you should pay attention to when choosing a school.
- The school is member of one of the three organizations and is run by a manager who has the required licences.
- The school character can be clearly recognized, i.e. it is equipped with information boards, signage, registration desk, office, access to the training spot and other typical elements that suggest a proper training center.
- The school has access to a suitable place for theory lessons, adequate changing facilities and sanitary installations.
- The school provides training for the acquisition of official pleasure craft licences and other qualifications according to the valid regulations and directives.
- The school has an adequate number of certified instructors.
- The head instructor, at least, has a valid training licence in the respective discipline.
for training centres
Schools with multiple locations will fulfill the following requirements at every establishment.
- The training centre has a sufficient number of training boats or an appropriate selection of boards, which are stored and presented in an appealing way.
- The design, size and maneuverability of all boats and sport devices ensure that trainees can handle them easily. All such boats and devices comply with the statutory provisions.
- If required by legal conditions, or specific requirements of the location, a motorized rescue vehicle is available (mandatory for kiteboarding, except in shallow training areas).
- Buoyancy aids and lifejackets are available for training on the water and for rental.
- Cold protection suits are available for beach sports, in accordance with the valid hygiene regulations.
- The centre uses teaching equipment suitable for the current syllabi and on the basis of the legal regulations.
- Aids such as models, charts, flip charts, tide calendars and other necessary media are used for the communication of the training contents.
- Lessons and training equipment are sufficiently covered by liability insurance.